As an accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy I work within their ethical framework and I am subject to their complaints procedure.
The BACP's Ethical Framework for Good Practice focuses on five main principles:
- Fidelity: honouring the trust placed in the practitioner
- Autonomy: respect for the client's right to be self governing
- Benificence: a commitment to promoting the client's well-being
- Non-maleficence: a commitment to avoiding harm to the client
- Justice: the fair and impartial treatment of all clients and the provision of adequate services